Mobile Computer Science Principles
The Mobile Computer Science Principles course (Mobile CSP) satisfies all requirements of the College Board’s new AP Computer Science Principles course, which has been designed to help broaden participation in computer science among high school girls and underrepresented minorities.
The Mobile CSP course uses the visual programming language, MIT App Inventor for Android, to provide a rigorous, programming-based introduction to computer science using a project-based curriculum. Students learn computer science by building socially useful mobile apps. In this way, student learning will be associated closely with their interests and grounded in their schools, their homes, and their communities.
The Mobile CSP project has the following main goals:
- To develop a rigorous AP-level CS Principles course based on mobile computing and to disseminate it for free to schools that wish to offer the AP CS Principles course.
- A complete set of free, openly licensed, Mobile CSP curricular and instructional materials is available here.
- To provide effective professional develop and ongoing support for teachers who wish the teach the Mobile CSP course in their schools.
- A complete set of free Mobile CSP lesson plans, video exemplars, best-practice suggestions, and other classroom resources is available here.
- Professional development opportunities for teachers who wish to teach the Mobile CSP course are available in a variety of formats, including online, in-person, and self-paced. Click here for details.
- To sustain computer science education in high schools.
- To broaden participation in Computer Science among girls and underrepresented minorities.
CS for All
AP CSP Endorsement
- Ralph Morelli, Professor of Computer Science, Trinity College, Hartford, CT.
- Chinma Uche, President of the CT-Computer Science Teachers Association
- Jennifer Rosato, Professor of Computer Science, College of St. Scholastica, Duluth, MN.
- Chery Lucarelli, Professor of Education, College of St. Scholastica, Duluth, MN.